Our Story

How it all started...

Boasting over a 140-year history, St. Andrew’s was established as Cullman’s fourth church in 1879 and was called the German-English Methodist Episcopal Church. In those early days worship services were conducted in English on the first and third Sundays of each month and in German on the second and fourth Sundays. The church was reorganized in 1884 as West Cullman Methodist Episcopal Church and a small frame church was erected on the corner of Seventh Street and Main Avenue. A bell was hung in the steeple five years later. The cornerstone of that building is incorporated in the present sanctuary’s cornerstone.

During the 1930’s, the church’s doors were closed due to lack of support and plans were being made to sell the property. Following a fruitful revival in an old store building in West Town, Mrs. W. L. Ward and Mrs. Lexter Burns requested that the bishop not allow the church to be sold. He told them that as long as there were worship services being conducted, the church would not be sold. Twenty-eight people attended the resumption of worship service in September 1937. Mrs. Ward and Mrs. Burns attended the Methodist Conference to report the church’s progress. Pleased with the report, the bishop appointed Rev. Q. V. Amberson to preach once a month.

"There was nothing in the church except a pulpit and altar, but these are the most important things in any church," Mrs. Ward recalled many years later. With the assistance of the community the church was refurbished. Pews were donated from a disbanded Nazarene church and Buettner Brothers Lumber Company donated lumber for pews in the classrooms. Mrs. Burns, teacher of the adult Sunday School class, and Mrs. Ward, church organist and teacher of the young people’s class, spent much time in visitation to personally invite people to church.

The small congregation continued to flourish and in 1954 the small frame building was torn down to make room for growth. A new education building was constructed at the back of the old church. Construction of a new sanctuary was begun with the first service conducted on December 27, 1959, by Rev. Amberson, the pastor from twenty years earlier.

On June 20, 1971, the name of the church was changed to St. Andrew’s United Methodist Church. Membership growth in the 1980’s brought about the building of a modern education building, finished in 1992, with a fellowship hall, classrooms, and a choir room. This allowed the old fellowship hall to be remodeled into a classroom and new office space.

In 1995 a new, taller steeple was erected on the sanctuary with the bell from more than 100 years before. A beautiful chapel was completed in 1998.

Today St. Andrew’s draws members from all over Cullman County. Its friendly, relaxed atmosphere offers a warm welcome to all people. St. Andrew’s continues to look for new ways to grow into its third century of ministry.
In 2022, St Andrews left the United Methodist Church because their lack of condemning sin, and became a member of the conservative Global Methodist Church.

Expanding the vision...

As disciples of Jesus Christ, it is our desire to see everyone experience the love, compassion, grace and mercy of  God.  We invite everyone who doesn't have a church home or who i looking for the true Gospel being taught to be a part of St Andrews. We want to be the light in the community that Jesus spoke about in Matthew 25.

Be a part of our story...

Join us every Sunday as we gather to worship together a 8:30 am and 11 am.